Connect with us

The tragic story of Steve Marriott death

Steve Marriott tagic death

ARTICLES

The tragic story of Steve Marriott death

Steve Marriott was one of the greatest rock and roll voices, the legendary singer that was the frontman of Small Faces and Humble Pie gave us amazing interpretations that are amazing to hear until this day. But unfortunately, his life had a tragic ending in 1991.

Advertisement

Back in April 19 1991, the musician and his third wife was Toni Poulton flew home from the United States, where Marriott had recorded songs for a future album with Frampton to England. During the flight, according Marriott’s wife he was drinking heavily, was in a bad mood what made the two argue. When they arrived in England, they went out for dinner with a friend and made Marriott drink more.

After dinner, they returned to their friend’s house and decided to stay overnight, since it was late, but upstairs in bed, Marriott and Poulton continued to argue. Poulton finally fell asleep and later woke to discover that Marriott had taken a taxi to his home in the nearby village of Arkesden.

At 6:30 am on April 20, a driver saw the roof of Marriott’s cottage on fire and called the fire brigade. Assistant Divisional Fire Officer Keith Dunatis, who found Marriott talked about it saying: “It was a tough fight getting upstairs. We searched the bedroom areas and it was very hot, we knew immediately that no-one could have survived the fire. We began to feel around the walls and discovered him lying on the floor between the bed and the wall. I would say he had been in bed and tried to escape. As soon as I saw the body clearly I knew who it was. I used to be a fan, it’s difficult to put my feelings into words. The scene was horrific in that corner of the room. I saw him lying there and thought what a pity it all was. I deal with many fires but this one was like walking down memory lane. We managed to salvage all his guitars and musical equipment. I feel a bit upset, all the firemen do. It was like seeing part of our lives gone forever.”

The police said the fire might have been started by a cigarette in the main bedroom of Mr. Marriott’s 16th-century cottage in Essex.

See more News

I am a Brazilian journalist, a Classic Rock and Heavy Metal lover. Music has always been part of my life, helped me through tough moments and was with me to celebrate the good ones. When I became a journalist I knew I wanted to write about my passions. After college I did a postgraduate degree in digital communication. This has helped me to make the website better and bring the best of classic rock to the world! MTB: 0021377/MG

Advertisement
To Top