Many don’t know that Nick Mason made a band called Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets, which aims to play only Pink Floyd songs composed before The Dark Side of The Moon.
And as many of these songs are authored by Syd Barrett, Rolling Stone magazine asked Mason which are his favorite songs among those composed by the band’s legendary founder.
Here’s the list:
– “Astronomy Domine” (“It’s so much fun playing it because of the tempo”).
– “Bike” (“an incredibly intelligent, fun letter but with a certain sadness present”).
– “Interstellar Overdrive” (“an open theme to improvisation and reinterpretation”).
– “Vegetable Man” (“seems simple but it’s very complicated, almost punk”).
– “Arnold Layne” (“it’s a very different song”, typical of experimentalism of the late sixties “).
Roger Keith “Syd” Barrett (6 January 1946 – 7 July 2006) was an English singer, songwriter, and musician. As a founder member of the band Pink Floyd, Barrett was the lead singer, guitarist and principal songwriter in its early years and is credited with naming the band. He was ousted from Pink Floyd in April 1968 after David Gilmour took over as their new guitarist, and was briefly hospitalised amid speculation of mental illness and his excessive use of psychedelic drugs.
See more News